Can a Metal Roof Be Installed Over ShinglesFeb 06, 2023
Can a metal roof be installed over shingles? In almost all cases, the answer is yes. You can install a metal roof on top of an existing shingle roof. Metal roofs are gaining popularity because they don’t require the removal of an entire roof. This can be time-consuming and costly.
Although metal is extremely strong, it’s very lightweight, at less than one pound per square feet, as opposed to asphalt shingles, which can weigh up to four pounds per square inch. The home’s overall load won’t be significantly increased by adding a metal roof to existing shingles.
Installing a metal roof over an existing roof saves money. It also provides additional insulation to your home, which helps keep heat and cool out.
Consider These Factors When Installing a Metal Roof on Top of Shingles
- In most cases, what we stated above about metal being installed over shingles is true. However, it is a good idea to verify with your local building or zoning department to ensure that they approve metal-over shingle installations.
- You should inspect your shingle roof for any rotting sheeting or rafters if it is leaking. These issues should be addressed before you install a new roof.
- Before new roof installation can commence, any structural problems such as buckled trusses or sagging decking resulting from the weight of the current roof must be resolved
- To prevent granules from coming in contact with the metal, it’s a good idea for shingles to have some kind of underlayment. This can be done by your metal roofing contractor.
Installing a Metal Roof Over Shingles
A metal roof can be installed over shingles. Metal roofs are often viewed as heavy and cumbersome by many people. Metal roofs are very lightweight, which is why they are so useful. They are easy to install and come in large sheets, rather than individual tiles.
A metal roof can be installed over shingles to provide additional insulation and protection. Even though metal roofs are very effective at reducing the sound transfer from metal roofs, shingles can be used under the metal roof to reduce the sound.
Is There a Benefit to Installing a Metal Roof Over Shingles?
While convenience and expediency are important, it’s more than that. It takes much less time to install a metal roof on top of shingles than removing them first. There are also other benefits, including reducing noise, insulation, and water resistance. Because the original shingles do not need to be removed, installing a metal roof can help you save money.
How Do You Install Metal Roofs Over Shingles?
An underlayment is used to cover shingles when installing roofs. The underlayment will protect the roof from any potential leakage onto the shingles. However, it is best to have the roof in good condition and watertight. The metal roof can then be installed once the underlayment has been placed over the shingles. The roof will be installed by professionals who will make sure it is waterproof and secure.
Metal Roofs Over Shingles: Some Exceptions
You can’t always put any other type of roofing on top of existing shingles. The layers of shingles that have been covered multiple times may be too thick to put a new roof on. If the roof has been damaged, you may need to repair it.
A roof placed over shingles will only cause structural damage if the roof material itself is too heavy. Metal is very light so this will only happen if there are a lot of asphalt shingles.
Remember that metal can be placed over asphalt shingles. Metal roofs may not be suitable for wood shingles. The sheets could be deformed by the wood shingles. This could lead to other problems if the asphalt shingles are not even. A professional is the best option if you are unsure. The professional will inspect your roof and recommend the right material to cover it.
The Advantages of Metal Roofs
Why would you choose to have a metal roof installed over shingle roofs? There are many reasons metal roofs can be beneficial:
- They are quick and easy to put in. Workers don’t have to install one shingle at once. Instead, they can install large sheets or metal.
- They are attractive and can be customized in many styles. Metal roofs can come in many styles and even replicate the luxury look of other roofing materials.
- They’re long-lasting. Metal roofs can last 50 years, depending on how well maintained they are. This makes them excellent investments.
- They are easy to maintain. Metal roofs don’t require much maintenance. However, it should still be checked after hail or other weather events.
They can be fitted over existing roofs. A metal roof can be installed over existing roofs.
Get a Free Estimate
Don’t let a damaged roof negatively impact your daily life and cause undue stress. Take action now and upgrade to a new and improved roof with Roofing Co. With our commitment to high-quality materials, expert installation, and exceptional customer service, we guarantee that you’ll be satisfied with the results. Our team of experienced and certified roofing professionals will work with you to find the best roofing solution for your home and budget. Whether you’re in need of a complete roof replacement or just a repair, we’ve got you covered.
Don’t wait any longer to protect your home and enhance its overall value. Contact Roofing Co. today to schedule a roofing consultation and take the first step towards a better roof and a better home. Your satisfaction is our top priority!
Services We Offer
No matter what style or type you prefer, Roofing Co. can install any roof for you with great pride and care.
- Roof Replacement
- Roof Repair
- Cost-Effective Roof Installation
- Roof Inspection
Roofing Co roofing system: